Not long ago, Dakota Cohen released her brand new single titled “No One” & has taken the time to speak with Fierce & Fabulous Revolution about her recent release, along with her experience on American Idol, & what the future hold’s for this talented artist.
1. Hey Dakota, thank you so much for this interview. Can you start by telling the readers a little bit about yourself?
I began singing when I was little, starting with musical theater and singing along to Disney songs in the car with my parents, but I always knew that I wanted to be on stage with a band behind me as I performed original music. I begged my parents for music lessons around 9 nine years old and from then I connected with other kids with the same passion for music as me and have been in different bands ever since.
2. How did you first discover your passion for performing?
I love connecting with people whether it be strangers at the grocery store to my classmates to the audience I’m singing to. The audience’s reaction to my music is what keeps me going. My love for music never stops and I want to continue to learn and grow as a musician and as a person.
3. What was the first song that you learned to sing off by heart?
It was definitely something from Disney like The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast.
4. When did you discover that singing was a career that you wanted to pursue?
The first time I sang in front of a crowd during my first performance in musical theater, I knew that I wanted to perform and entertain. I love seeing the reactions of the audience and confidence I gain when i’m up on stage.
5. How would you describe your music to anyone who is not familiar with your work?
I would say that my music is very fun, easy to listen to, empowering, and very very danceable! I would love to make music similar to Bruno Mars and Charlie Puth because as soon as you listen to their songs you immediate feel happy and want to sing along.
6. Not long ago, you took part in American Idol. How did the decision to take part in the show come together?
I was hesitant in the beginning, because I’ve heard all of these horror stories about being on reality TV, but I decided to just go for it. I soon became very excited to experience this new realm of the music industry. I’m really grateful for being able to go on the show and meeting new people who are now some of my closest friends.
7. How would you describe your experience of being on the show?
I would say that this experience on Idol gave me more drive to chase my dreams of being a performer. I learned so much about myself and grew in that short period of time. Also, the entire cast and crew on the show were incredible and i’m so glad to have been on this season.
8. What advice would you have to anyone who wanted to take part in American Idol?
Just be yourself! Don’t let anyone try to push into being someone you’re not. This industry is very tough and you need to be confident in yourself to pursue a career in music. Also, have fun! Make the most out of your experience and make lots of friends!
9. You recently released your brand new single “No One”, which is awesome by the way! How did the idea for this single come together?
The idea for “No One” came from a conversation I had with some of my girlfriends. We were all having issues with boys at the time and I wanted to write a song that we can relate to. I love jamming out with my friends as we drive down Sunset Boulevard. I played my friends the first demo while driving down Sunset Boulevard and they loved it. I didn’t tell them it was mine so I could hear their honest opinion. Their big smiles and ability to sing along by the second chorus was validation that this was gonna be great.
10. What was the inspiration behind this latest release?
I wanted to make a song all about independence and confidence. I want my audience to feel empowered and believe that they are capable of being happy on their own.
11. How have your family & friends reacted to your new single? All good I hope!
They absolutely love it! I get messages everyday from my family and friends about how they’re listening to No One over and over again. It’s so great to see everyone being so supportive and i’m extremely grateful!
12. What do you like to get up to when you are not performing? Any hobbies?
I love hanging out with my friends and going shopping. I also love going on little adventures, just like driving around until we see something cool and check it out. Another hobby of mine is cooking. I love baking for my family and helping out with dinner because it’s so relaxing and just super fun.
13. What song do you always keep on your playlist & why?
I always have to keep “Every Little Step” by Bobby Brown on my playlist because it’s such a great song to jam out to with my friends. It’s a classic in my eyes and will never be outdated.
14. If you could perform a duet with anyone in the world, who would it be?
15. If you could travel to any country in the world, where would you go?
16. If you had not pursued a career in music, what career do you think that you would have pursued?
17. What advice would you give to anyone who wants to follow your footsteps into the music world?
Be confident in yourself and believe in my own music. People will always try to put you down, but you have to get back up on your feet and push harder to make your dreams a reality.
18. Finally, is there anything you would like to say to the readers of Fierce & Fabulous Revolution?
I love you all! Thanks for being so supportive of me and my music! I really do appreciate every single one of you! Xoxo Dakota
You can check out “No One” on Spotify below.