The queer Persian songstress Gia Woods, has released the official video for the brand new dark-pop track “HUNGRY” & has taken the time to speak to us about her latest release!
1. Hey Gia, thank you so much for agreeing to this interview. Can you start by telling the readers a little bit about yourself?
Gia: Hi! I’m Gia Woods, I was born and raised in Los Angeles.
2. When did you first discover your passion for music?
Gia: When I was about seven I found my sister’s electric guitar, and I was always so intrigued by it. So one day I picked it up and immediately became obsessed with it, and taught myself how to play, and that’s when I got interested in writing. Then I’d write and play songs in my bedroom every day.
3. What was the first song that you memorized by heart?
Gia: “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana and “Basket Case” by Green Day.
4. At what moment did you realize that music was going to be a career that you pursued?
Gia: During my senior year of high school, I decided to fully pursue music; it was between that or applying to college! And it’s crazy because the month I was scouted by my managers was the same month I had to make a decision on which school I wanted to go to. So when I got scouted I knew that I had to go for it if I wanted to do music full time.
5. How would you describe your musical style to someone who is not familiar with your music?
Gia: Moody, sensual, alternative, dark pop.
6. You recently released the single “Feel It”, which is amazing by the way! How did the idea for this single come together?
Gia: Thank you! I had this guitar idea and melodies, which is typically how most of my songs come together, but when I was in the studio, I remember talking about how infatuated I was with this person I was with at the time. You know that feeling when you’re so mesmerized by someone? I feel like it’s so rare. We talked about that for a bit and then 20 minutes later, the song was basically done! I love when that happens because it’s so genuine, in the moment, and not over-thought.
7. You have just released the official video for your latest single “HUNGRY”. What does this song personally mean to you?
Gia: I say what’s on my mind and that’s how every song of mine is. It makes me feel super empowered and untouchable.
8. What message do you hope for your fans to take away from your latest single?
Gia: The importance of trusting your intuition and following your gut.
9. What do you like to get up to when you are not performing? Any hobbies?
Gia: Reading, hiking, working out, and discovering new restaurants with my friends.
10. Who would you consider to be some of your biggest influences in the music world?
Gia: I grew up listening to so many different genres but to name a few Madonna, Radiohead Green Day, Kanye, bjork, were huge influences on me.
11. What song do you always keep on your playlist & why?
Gia: “Vienna” by Billy Joel. It always makes me feel super nostalgic and I specifically remember listening to it with my mom and dad in the car. It always takes me back to that time.
12. What was the last TV series that you binge-watched & did you enjoy it?
Gia: I watched every season of Friends and I’d do it all over again;)
13. What one item can’t you live without & why?
Gia: Hmm probably my guitar, I have to pick it up at least once a day! Haha
14. What is the best piece of advice that someone has given you about pursuing a career in the music industry?
Gia: Keep your blinders on and don’t compare yourself to others.
15. Finally, is there a message that you would like to pass on to the readers of Fierce & Fabulous Revolution?
Gia: Enjoy the little things! And be productive with your time. There’s so much to learn and experience. Don’t be on your phone so much.
Check out “Hungry” on Spotify below.